Tuesday, July 30, 2013

DIY Hair Ties

Hello, and happy Tuesday! Today I had a wonderful day crafting with my mother in law! She left around lunch time, and just kept on craftin'! I have a really simple DIY project to blog about today... and it could save you a lot of money!



Hair ties (or pony tail holders) are a staple for just about every girl. The latest 'trend' in hair ties are these ribbon hair ties. Their claim to fame is that they leave less of a crease and are nicer to hair. Since using them my hair is much less damaged around where I wear my ponytail. The downside- they can be quite pricey! The first pack I bought from Target was around $8.00.. and selling online for almost $12!



After some quick research, I figured out how to make my own and save A LOT of money while doing it. The key is to buy the elastics, which are called fold over elastics, from Etsy.



I bought 12 yards of elastic for less than 8 dollars!!! That's enough for 48 hair ties!! There are lots of shops on Etsy to choose from, I chose .

                                                             

 To make the hair ties all you have to do is cut the elastic to the length you like (I usually cut somewhere from 8-9 inches), tie in a knot and you're done! I like to run a lighter along the edge of the elastic to seal the ends.. but you don't have to.

 



 
Have a great rest of the day!!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know these were so easy to make! I have been cautious about trying them because of the price tag but now I don't have an excuse. Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete