Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Caprese Pasta + a Few Tricks in the Kitchen

Guys... I just had the BEST pasta ever! So naturally, I had to post it ASAP. The best part? Everything was already in my pantry/fridge. And it only took about 20 mins to make.

 


What you'll need: (recipe makes one serving.. adjust as necessary)
-1 tomato
-1 serving of pasta (I used Trader Joe's linguine)
-1 TBSP Olive oil
-1 garlic glove
-Handful of green onion
-1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
-4-5 green or kalamata olives
-Sprig of basil


What to do:

-Cook pasta according to package directions
-As pasta is cooking, dice tomato
-Add tomato, olive oil and green onions to skillet, cook on medium low heat for 10-15 mins
-Dice mozzarella cheese and olives, set aside
-Once pasta is cooked, add to tomato mixture. Tear up basil and add to pasta.
-Add cheese and olives to pasta, mix together over medium heat. Cheese should melt and get stringy and delicious looking.
-Add salt and pepper to taste (I add a pinch of red pepper for a little kick!)










This pasta was especially easy thanks to a few little tricks...

1. Trader Joes sells frozen crushed garlic.... genius! You don't have to spend any time peeling and crushing garlic. (I obviously need to go get more, used my last one today!)
 


2. Chop and freeze your green onion. I can never use it all before it goes bad.. but it lasts a long time in the freezer.

3. Grow your own basil! I started this plant from a little tiny one that I got from Walmart to 1.99. It is a super hardy herb that will save you money if you use if often in cooking.


Enjoy!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment