Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Protein Rich Breakfast Burritos


One of my goals for 2014 is to eat a higher protein breakfast. This can be hard to do when I am usually running out the door to get to work on time. The solution? Making these bad boys ahead of time, freezing them and then popping one in the microwave as the Keurig is booting up. And the bonus (besides being delicious!) is that they are high in protein so they keep me feeling full until lunch time.

Ingredients (makes 10 burritos):

-10 tortillas (I opted for the low calorie low carb variety)
-10 eggs
-1/4 cup skim milk
-1 15 oz can black beans
-1 10 oz can rotel (I like the hot kind... salsa works too)
-1 cup shredded cheese
-1/2 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-1/2 tsp chili powder
-Cilantro to taste (optional)


1. Scramble the eggs (I did this in two stages.. 10 eggs is a lot!)


 
2. Combine eggs, rotel, black beans and cheese in mixing bowl. Add spices and cilantro as desired.


 
3. Lay out tortillas and spoon egg mixture evenly into each.



4. Fold/roll tortilla into burrito, roll in foil and fold in sides.


5. Store in freezer.



Heating them up is easy too- just unroll from foil, wrap a wet paper towel around it and microwave for 45 secs to 1 min. I then use the tin foil to hold it since I eat it in the car :)

Couple this burrito with a piece of fruit and I'd call it a perfect breakfast!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment